The Institute is also an examining body, and members are required to pass examinations and have relevant work experience prior to describing themselves as ‘Certified Management Accountants’. Business organizations are also accredited by the Institute as providing suitable training and experience programs for prospective members to obtain their experience requirements for membership.
CMA is established with a vision to attain the status of a premier body of professionals practising the science of management accounting. The Institute thus aims:
- To promote and develop the science of Management Accountancy and to foster and maintain investigations and research into the best means and methods of developing and applying such science and to encourage, increase, disseminate and promote knowledge, education and training and the exchange of information and ideas in respect of all questions relating thereto or connected therewith;
- To provide a professional organization for Management Accountants and by means of examination and other methods of assessment to test the skill and knowledge of persons desiring to enter the profession;
- To further the development of management accounting education in these disciplines in the universities and schools in Australia and Asia;
- To encourage research into the application of management accounting theory in practice;
- To hold conferences and publish a journal as a means for disseminating ideas and information in the discipline of management accounting, and for promoting their discussion.
The Institute of Certified Management Accountants (Hong Kong Branch) was found in 2010. Our mission is to provide professional education for members and students to meet business needs in Hong Kong and Mainland China. The Institute focuses on providing sufficient developments in managerial and accounting fields for members and graduates.
A management accountant applies his or her professional knowledge and skill in the preparation and presentation of financial and other decision oriented information in such a way as to assist management in the formulation of policies and in the planning and control of the operation of the undertaking.
Management Accountants therefore are seen as the "value-creators" amongst the accountants. They are much more interested in forward looking and taking decisions that will affect the future of the organization, than in the historical recording and compliance (scorekeeping) aspects of the profession. Management accounting knowledge and experience can therefore be obtained from varied fields and functions within an organization, such as information management, treasury, efficiency auditing, marketing, valuation, pricing, logistics, etc.
The Institute works in the interest of its members and students, and support them by providing all-round services throughout their careers. We provide guidance and resources for individuals to advance in their own professions.